Address Information for ESTAs when Roadtripping in the US

Planning a roadtrip in the US is such an exciting prospect! From choosing which states you’d like to visit to deciding what you’d love to see and do on your travels. But in and amongst all of the exciting preparations comes the slightly less exciting, but really important administrative duties - one such duty being your ESTA.

We will share everything you need to know about completing the address section of your ESTA in preparation for a roadtrip across the States. Answering commonly asked questions such as ‘What address do I put on the ESTA form when roadtripping across the US?’, ‘Which address do I include on an ESTA if I’m visiting multiple locations?’ and more.

So let’s buckle up and get started.

What is an ESTA?

The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (or ESTA for short), is an online system introduced by the US government to evaluate whether travellers from Visa Waiver Program (VMP) countries are eligible to enter the country. There are currently 40 countries participating in the program, including the United Kingdom.

This means that someone visiting the US from any of these countries can do so for either tourism or business purposes without having to obtain a visa, provided that their stay lasts 90 days or less.

To do this, travellers must complete an online application via the ESTA process. This can be found here: 

What information do I have to provide for an ESTA?

When completing your online application, you’ll be asked to provide details about yourself, your travel plans and answer any questions surrounding your eligibility to travel to the US. This must be completed before your trip, prior to boarding a flight or boat to the country. The primary purpose of an ESTA is to help enhance security measures and ensure that all immigration regulations are being complied with.

For the application, you’ll need:

  • An up-to-date passport (from a Visa Waiver Program country.
  • Your email address
  • Your home address and phone number
  • An emergency contact number and email address
  • Payment method. Fee is $21.00 USD (or £16.50)
You may also need:

  • Any aliases or other names 
  • National ID or Personal ID number
  • Global Entry/NEXUS/SENTRI ID number
  • Your employer’s address and phone number 
  • U.S. point of contact name, address, and phone (if applicable)

Do I need to complete an ESTA when travelling from the UK to the US for a road trip?

In short - yes you do. 

If you’re a UK citizen and are planning a roadtrip or any other type of travel to the US, you have to complete an ESTA application. Whether you’re planning to hire an RV or motorhome and travel whilst you’re out there, or planning to stay at the same address for your entire stay, you still must complete the application.

How soon before travelling to the US should I submit my ESTA?

ESTA applications must be submitted at least 72 hours before you begin your journey to the US and are generally approved within minutes. However, we’d recommend that you send off your application a few weeks in advance to prevent any unexpected complications or delays.

What address information do I put in my ESTA when I’m roadtripping or RVing in the USA?

When completing the ESTA application for a road trip or RV trip in the United States, you will need to provide the address of your initial destination or the first place you plan to stay at. This does not have to be booked accommodation. It could be a friend’s house, a campsite or the closest landmark to the place you plan on parking up the RV that first night. It’s fine if you’re unsure of where you’ll be staying for the rest of your road trip, as you don’t need to provide this information. But we do advise that you keep a record of the places you stay, just in case border control asks for this information.

We hope this quick guide to address information on ESTAs has been useful in helping you to plan your next roadtrip in the US, and wish you the best of luck on your travels!